Incredible, perfectly spiced healthy chili made with lean ground turkey, kidney beans and corn. This version is simply the BEST!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey or chicken (99%)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- For topping: cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream
- Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in onion, garlic and red pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Next add in ground turkey and break up the meat; cooking until no longer pink. Next add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt; stir for about 20 seconds.
- Next add in tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavors come together. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary. Garnish with anything you’d like.
- Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
I’ve gotten a few comments about the chili being too spicy — I used McCormick’s Chili Powder in this recipe, which is very mild. If you’re using something else, I would start with 2-3 tablespoons instead of 4.
To make this recipe in the slow cooker: Reduce the chicken broth to 1/2 cup and brown the turkey and onions before adding to the slow cooker. This is an awesome tailgating or football party recipe!
Recipe by Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen
Photography by Sarah Fennel // Broma Bakery